One week down

It’s been a crazy week in Samoa.  The humidity was like a blast furnace the instant the airplane door opened.  The airline lost half of my luggage.  The half they lost, was the half with all of my work gear, rain gear, work boots, etc.  We had about a 45 minute drive along the Samoan coast to the main city of Apia and to the harbor where our ship was docked.
  I reported onboard as the last crew was getting off and found my room and got all squared away.  It was late afternoon by the time I was done and after all of the travel, I was ready to have dinner and hit my rack.  The next day I was scheduled to have security watch from 1600-2400 so I was able to email around and try to locate my missing baggage.  It rained most of the day so I stayed onboard and settled in.
  The next day I was scheduled to work on deck, so I raided the gear locker and found a pair of fire boots that fit.  Pretty sexy look, me in shorts with yellow and black fire boots running around.  Thankfully it rained so hard no one thought to bring out their cameras.  We were getting biblical type rain from Typhoon Ian that was passing further to our South.  The harbor is not very well protected and some rollers get in and rock us around pretty good.  We were in port for four days taking on science gear, stores,  and personnel.  The consulate arranged some public outreach and a couple of large groups of Samoan kids came onboard for tours and lunch.  I was pretty sure my bag would not make the trip but at the last moment it was delivered.  My feet were singing for joy when I put on “my” boots.  The fire boots gave me massive blisters.  The last day and night was pretty stormy.  Overnight we parted a heavy dock line.  The next day we parted two more and spent all day mending lines and installing chafe protection before we finally departed for sea.
  We are approx. 200nm North of Samoa working on a wave study led by the Applied Physics Lab (APL) group called the Wavechasers.  They are studying the large waves that occur under the ocean surface.  Very little is known about these waves but they can reach over 1,000 feet tall.  They have the power to cause submarines to ground and can also break on land.  Our work is recovery and deployment of several science mooring bouys that record these waves.  The moorings we recovered over the last couple days were in 5000 meter deep water and were stationary at 3000 meters below the surface (subsurface bouys).  I can’t seem to learn how to copy and paste on my phone, but if you have a little time, search “wavechasers- APL” and you can find a ton of interesting information and follow our cruise through the eyes of the science group.
  I didn’t manage to get many pictures since it was either raining very hard or we were engaged in operations.  Now that we are offshore the weather has been very nice and I even got a bit sunburned.  I will try to get some better photos for my next update.

Stay thirsty my friends!






3 thoughts on “One week down

  1. Sherri

    A nice little bedtime story for us tonight. 🙂 So glad your luggage was found. Looking forward to more pictures. Wear that sunscreen!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s